It’s mid~day, mid~week, and close to being mid~month as I sit down and write today’s post.
Since our last visit together I’ve built a snowman and seen it melt,
Experienced raindrops come and go pouring down rain
hung the new 2017 calendar🎉
halfway through January already!
and the Christmas decorations have all been tucked away
The rainy weather has provided a perfect backdrop for staying inside and getting organized again.
When the sunshine is out, I have to be outside.
credited to my SoCal roots (most likely)
riding a bike, walking the beach, gardening
or running around discovering new wonders on this beautiful coast
When the weather is rainy, and gray I keep busy with the rainy day kind of stuff like eating
serving tomato soup in large mugs, indulging in grilled cheese sandwiches
browsing through gardening books 🌱🌺
baking cranberry scones
preparing a batch or two of my favorite soups.
Working on my blog💻📸✏
Practicing scales on the piano🎶
Recently the rainy weather has been calling me into those closets
and cupboards, clearing out unwanted items that have somehow accumulated (again!!!) how does this happen??? Those of you that frequently visit know that I’ve been passionately creating a new home on the coast. click here if you are a new reader
With that said this past week has seen the beginnings of yet another project. However, due to the inclement weather🌦⛄❄🌧 it looks as if it just might take a little longer than projected to complete. I hope to share more of the progress on my next post. (until then I’ll keep you guessing) A little something for you to look forward to. btw….how are things going in your neck of the woods?
The weather is currently not raining. So, as you might have guessed…
I’m heading out for another adventure…
RUSTIC TOMATO SOUP
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
2 lbs Roma tomatoes (about 10), halved (about 6 cups)
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into pieces (about 1 cup)
1 T olive oil
1/4 t salt
1 lb ground sausage ( I substitute with a spicy veggie sausage)
1 onion, peeled and minced (about 2 cups)
6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced (about 2 T)
2 carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
4 cups vegetable broth
3/4 lb kale, stemmed and coarsely diced (about 12 cups, lightly packed) shredded Parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 400° Place halved tomatoes on a cookie sheet, cut side up. Place red pepper on the cookie sheet with the tomatoes. Drizzle everything with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until red pepper is tender.
- While the tomatoes and pepper are roasting, brown the sausage in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Once sausage is about halfway cooked, add onion and garlic. Cook until sausage is browned and onion is soft.
- Add carrots and vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer tomatoes and pepper to a cutting board to cool. Remove the tomato skins and dice the tomatoes and red pepper.
- Add tomatoes and pepper to the pot. Simmer for about 10 minutes, and then stir in kale. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until kale is tender. Serve with shredded Parmesan.