”Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.”
-Henry David Thoreau
Hello, sweet friend…
Come and join me as I take you on a river boat ride.
It won’t take too long…
Put your feet up
relax as we 🚢 travel through time…
along the Couquille river
Imagine an area which was once…
of 80 years ago
a story of days gone by.
EASY ITALIAN-AMERICAN RED SAUCE
(For those times when you want to get a yummy dinner in your tummy and quick)👩🍳
1 large sprig basil
4 cloves garlic diced
1 tsp. oregano, dried
2 (28-ounce cans) tomatoes, whole
3 teaspoons tomato paste
one tsp. salt
1 generous pinch red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. oil extra virgin
2 tbsp. butter, unsalted
1. In a large pot, combine oil and garlic
heat over moderately low heat until garlic begins to very gently sizzle.
Add red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until garlic just begins to turn a light gold in color, about three minutes.
Add oregano and continue to cook, stirring, for one minute.
2. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until paste has softened and blended with the oil, about three minutes.
3. Stir in canned tomatoes and their juices, increase heat to medium high, bring to a gentle simmer, then lower heat to maintain. Using an immersion blender, blend tomatoes until sauce is Smooth. (alternatively, blend tomatoes with a standard blender before adding to pot)
4. Add basil and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced slightly and tastes rich, about 30 minutes. Season with salt.
5. Discard basil. Stir in butter, if using, until melted. Use sauce right away, or allow to cool to room temperature, transfer to sealed containers and refrigerate for up to five days or freeze for up to six months.
(I had planned on saving the sauce for later in the week…however it was so good that Joe turned it into a vegetarian meat sauce poured over some pasta silly Joe… and we gobbled it up for dinner that same evening.)